Does my name change if I get married?

If you get married, you can begin using your husband’s surname or continue using your original surname. An application for a legal name change is not required in either situation. For certain things (such as driver’s licences, passports, and the electoral roll) you may need to fill out an application form to update your details if you begin using your new surname. You will often need your marriage certificate as proof when filing these applications. Again, however, a legal name change is not required.

For further advice on this matter, please make an appointment with Scott Donaldson or Malcolm McKenzie.

I just got married, is my old will still valid?

The general rule is that an old will is automatically revoked upon the marriage (or civil union) of the will-maker. Due to this, in most cases your will is invalid upon entering into a new marriage.

However, there are some exceptions. For instance, when the will has been made in contemplation of the marriage/civil union, it may remain valid. There are further exceptions regarding powers of appointment in relation to wills.

For further information on any potential exceptions, please make an appointment with Malcolm McKenzie or Scott Donaldson.