Does my name change if I get married?

If you get married, you can begin using your husband’s surname or continue using your original surname. An application for a legal name change is not required in either situation. For certain things (such as driver’s licences, passports, and the electoral roll) you may need to fill out an application form to update your details if you begin using your new surname. You will often need your marriage certificate as proof when filing these applications. Again, however, a legal name change is not required.

For further advice on this matter, please make an appointment with Scott Donaldson or Malcolm McKenzie.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *